I’ve decided to focus on one key accessory as they are by far the most exciting fashion statement of the moment and come in so many interesting styles, making them an option for most occasions. The marvel that I talk of is indeed-The Gladiator Sandal.
Worn by many cultures throughout the early ages, these strap cladded wonders are so versatile and are making a comeback this season. They hit the high street big time in 2007 with style icons such as Kate Moss sporting many different pairs and have been in the shadows ever since. However, with this summer’s fashion really showing us how to mix things up, with clashing prints and any shape goes, the gladiator sandal has once again found itself back on the footwear circuit.
Asos.com, like always offers us the best of the best with so much variety in terms of style and cost. One of the combos that we see this time around is a great one; thick leather buckles contrasted against beautiful sequins, studs jewels and stones.
These Blowfish gladiators come in at a very reasonable £49.
Aldo shoes, one of the most popular on the high street, have a whole section named ‘Gladiator Story’ on their website dedicated to this particular style.
Check out their DRYZIN model for fabulous turquoise straps mixed with those chunky stones. Or how about CHISEM for some wrap around animal print leather.
Gold is a highly flattering colour against most skin tones, Sienna Miller looks chic out and about in New York wearing a pair of Gold flat footed ankle gladiator sandals.
And finally if you’re really brave and have got the legs for them, why not follow in the footsteps of Chanel and try knee high ones. STYLE ALERT!!
I found these AMAZING knee high blue ones from Anna Sui at Net-a-Porter.com. At £420, they are at the higher end of the price range, but I think the colour, the stud detail and even the shape make the money more than worth it.
1. Stick to low strap sandals if your ankle conscious.
2. Knee/calf high ones tend to suit taller, boyish figures as they can shape the legs.
3. If choosing a bright coloured pair, don’t match them with an item of clothing of a similar colour. This season is all about clashing with style, for example the Anna Sui blue beauties above would look so on trend with a Zebra print dress.
4. The Gladiator is ever so versatile so feel free to experiement with what you team them with. However, after having a browse on the streets of London: florals look fab with a studded pair, denim shorts look rock and roll with the knee highs, and you can match a jewelled flat pair with just about anything.
5. They can look cool for day or night wear, but if picking them for an evening outfit, be sure to dress the outfit up in other ways using accessories (try some exotic jewellery or a pretty scarf)
Topshop have some great pairs here at the moment, the ‘Haidee-High gladiator’ fit right in with Kate’s fashion fix and they come in coral as well as black…at £25 each it means you don’t have to choose.
Check out Beyonce’s multicoloured pair…you can grab yourself almost a complete replica from Aldo with their Rosenberger (here) AND they come in two colour ways which is even better. Maybe Beyonce did get hers from there?!
Follow us on Twitter! Click here: twitter.com/FJCelebrityNews
Text: Claire Webb
© Copyright 2010 fabricjam.com